All the planking below the waterline on Witch has now been fixed back in position tight against the frames from the bow to the cockpit (apart from a few planks and both garboards that still need replacing). The aft quarter and counter will be done when the stern post is renewed.
A week in Abu Dhabi working on the new boat project we have been doing all year. Can’t show you the boat so here’s one of me sanding teak in 42 degrees!
Making teak gratings. Tricky… For Moreton Marine.
Tuesday, 18 June 2013
I replaced a number of broken ribs on the Sally Taxi Nomad. These were laminated from oak strips, but because they go behind the beam shelf and stringer I had to laminated them in place then rivet them.
Draws made from light weight foam core ply with walnut veneer. The edges are all trimmed with solid walnut. For Moreton Marine.
The dreaded gribble had got at Polly Agatha’s rudder. Although only 5 years old and made of oak they had made a bit of a mess. I cut out sections and replaced with new wood. For Moreton Marine.
Started work on teak decking panels for a new boat being built in Abu Dhabi. All quite complicated…
Removing the cabin sole so we can get at classic yacht Infant’s water tank. This will be removed for repairs and so we can check the keel bolts. For Moreton Marine.
While Witch has been drying out the planks have moved. At the bow they are mainly ok, but where there is more shape they have twisted out of position because they are only help in by the original bronze boat nails (or dumps). I pushed the planks back into position using this clamp devise braced against something solid, in this case the bench. Once they are back in the right place I fixed them with 3 screws into the double frames in alternate positions to the original nails. They were then covered with pitch pine plugs.
The finished cockpit. The tops and floor were sprayed white, which involved a lot of detail then anti-slip panels were stuck to the floor, for Alpha Plus.